PDA

View Full Version : Nylabones- a warning

WeinerWoman
07-07-2006, 02:08 PM
I caught this on Craigslist today, just wanted to share.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pet/179366062.html

Our Dachshund just came home after two days of being in the vet hospital. On July 4th he began vomiting and wouldn't eat and seemed in pain. I had noticed the day before he had vomited up parts of a Nylabone. We took him to the Woodbridge Animal Hospital, thank god they were open on the holiday. There I told the Vet I suspected it had to do with a Nylabone. XRays were taken and indeed it showed that he had a blockage. After further testing, Oscar was taken to emergency surgery where they had found a piece of Nylabone that had lodged in his intestine causing the blockage. I am thankful that our vet is open 24 hrs or Oscar would have died. I have since read many many horror stories about Nylabones causing blockage and causing many animals to die. If you are giving your furry friend Nylabones, please think twice, these bones are not safe. Search the web and see the many many stories of animals hurt or dying from these. Nowhere on their packaged does it warn you about the risk of them not being able to be digested. Oscar had the small EDIBLE ones. The price to remove a piece of a $5.00 Nylabone, $1600.

oscarforevermom
07-07-2006, 02:12 PM
My little men have never had a nylabone - rawhide or Greenies after Oscar nearly choked on a Greenie.

I can't believe how greedy these people are that keep selling this junk for dogs. Too bad if a pup dies - or nearly dies - as long as they make their $$$$!!

Suzanne R
07-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Doesn't surprise me! Whatever they may end up paying for the death (or surgery) of a few dogs (IF they pay anything at all!) is NOTHING compared to the profits they make selling this crap. :pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair:

Orchid Crazy
07-07-2006, 02:56 PM
You know, I'm to the point where I am afraid to give Buddy much of anything. He gets a few toys that we know will last or his tennis balls which we take away as soon as we see them showing fraying. For chewing, I've been sticking to these rope frisbee things and throw them out as soon as I see signs of damage. They just eat anything at all and don't stop.

kpm_tex
07-07-2006, 02:56 PM
I wonder what kind of Nylabone it was... probably the edible kind which are no better than greenies. I give mine the durable ones to chew on and have never seen them take a piece out of one of those that would cause a problem. Funny thing when I told one of the vets were I take the dogs that I give them the durable nylabones she suggested Greenies instread :rolleyes: I just looked at her like she was nuts.

Suzanne R
07-07-2006, 02:58 PM
I wonder what kind of Nylabone it was... probably the edible kind which are no better than greenies. I give mine the durable ones to chew on and have never seen them take a piece out of one of those that would cause a problem. Funny thing when I told one of the vets were I take the dogs that I give them the durable nylabones she suggested Greenies instread :rolleyes: I just looked at her like she was nuts.
My vet recommends Greenies, also, and still has a jar on her windowsill full of Greenies to sell! Do they have stock in Greenies or something???

Susa
07-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Isabel takes chunks out of the durable nylabones and I had switched to the edible ones!!! Ack! I guess we need to stick to just bullysticks.

maddoxies
07-07-2006, 03:45 PM
I wonder what kind of Nylabone it was... probably the edible kind which are no better than greenies. I give mine the durable ones to chew on and have never seen them take a piece out of one of those that would cause a problem.

The article says that it was one of the edible ones. Her point was that it was marked "edible" but it was not digestable.

fdcutee
07-07-2006, 03:49 PM
I've had our trainer suggest greenies.... she was surprised when I told her about the pups who died from them. My boys loved the edible nylabones... only durable ones for them from now on.

5weeniesmom
07-07-2006, 04:02 PM
geezzzz what is left for these destructive aggressive chewers? I am trying thing after thing and I think I got it and someone posts how a dog died from it or almost from blockage. I am afraid to give them anything anymore!

fdcutee
07-07-2006, 04:13 PM
geezzzz what is left for these destructive aggressive chewers?

Joey's a pretty aggressive chewer and one thing he loves that has held up without any problems is the durable nylabones with the blue textured middles (not sure how else to describe it. Both the boys only chew on the ends of them and really love them. I can take a picture if any wants to see what I'm referring to. Those fire hydrate toys have held up too (I think they're sergents or something like that). I have one and I think it was Connie who suggested those a while back. It's hard finding good toys for chewers that you don't have to worry about though!

5weeniesmom
07-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Joey's a pretty aggressive chewer and one thing he loves that has held up without any problems is the durable nylabones with the blue textured middles (not sure how else to describe it. Both the boys only chew on the ends of them and really love them. I can take a picture if any wants to see what I'm referring to.

I remember u posting these before and mine have those and Scruffy actually will chew the whole thing. I found that out, my other three did the same thing just would chew the ends a bit but Scruffy he chewed the middle with the textured points even!! He wears me out with the chewing!

Susa
07-07-2006, 05:26 PM
aggressive chewer and one thing he loves that has held up without any problems is the durable nylabones with the blue textured middles

Isabel chews chunks off of those. My vet said to never let her have them.

kpm_tex
07-07-2006, 08:29 PM
This is the kind I give.. They do gnaw them down but they would have to be real buzz saws to get anytype of hunk off one of those... at least that has been my experience with my trio and the big dogs I've had before.
http://www.nylabone.com/default.aspx?pageid=106&subcat=8

http://www.nylabone.com/assets/nylabone/products/fulls/56.jpg

Lambygyrl
07-07-2006, 08:46 PM
No Nylabones here... my first doxie, Shelby, :angel: used to bite them into pieces -- the regular ones -- at that point, if a doxie could bite them up, I knew they weren't for me or any dog in my care... no matter what any Vet or Pet Store says. Same goes for rawhide, greenies or any toy that can be biten off in pieces... these doxies have amazing jaws!! Remember, the Vets & the Pet Stores are out to make money...Plastic or rubber toys of any type are not in my house, and also really really furry toys are not good because my dog will rip bits of fur off of the toy & eat the fur... which causes blockage too.

TessieMom
07-07-2006, 08:56 PM
We used to try the edible ones here, they just went too fast! Those and Booda chews are things of the past.

Susa
07-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Yep!!! Isabel bites hunks out of these!!!
http://www.nylabone.com/assets/nylabone/products/fulls/56.jpg

I took one in and showed it to my vet and he said to stop giving them to her right away. . . . . . . . . . the little brat! LOL

zoeysmom
07-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Wow, Isabel - that's some chewing! My little chewer only manages to chew and make little 'spikes' - chewing a whole hunk out is impressive.

Susa
07-07-2006, 09:36 PM
She is a wild child! LOL

roxysmom
07-07-2006, 10:03 PM
I gave Roxy an edible nylabone once and it gave her VERY STINKY GAS!:icon8: :faint: No more nylabones for Roxy! I usually give her the compressed rawhide bones every 3-4 months. They don't seem to get as slimy as the regular rawhide and it takes her forever to finish a little 5-6" one. I only give it to her when I am home to supervise just in case. So far, no problems!

Peanuttymom
07-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the article on nylobone. I won't give it to my babies anymore. I threw the greenies away after reading about the potential problems. I also threw away the rest of the Science Diet . Instead, I feed Natural Balance.

smilee1079
07-07-2006, 11:28 PM
We had given Zoe a sample pack with a durable, edible and flexible nylabone in it. She ate the edible one, but I never gave them again, she didn't like the durable at all, and she warmed up to the flexible. We still have it but she barely wants it. Anyone else give the flexible ones?

Susa
07-08-2006, 08:50 AM
What about those cornstarch bones?

Millie's Mom
07-08-2006, 09:13 AM
We are in obedience class right now and the instructor said the only thing she will give her dogs are knuckle bones. She has never had to have a dental done. She said they don't splinter. I am going to try that. Although I just ordered some edible nylabones....dang it!

oscarforevermom
07-08-2006, 09:22 AM
What about those cornstarch bones?

I tried those and found that when Oscar ate it down to where it could not be held any longer with the paws - he tried to swallow the rest of the piece whole.

I just don't use fake bones or rawhides anymore. I give them sturdy rubber chew toys or real bones that they have no problems with.

Pandawags
07-08-2006, 09:36 AM
No more for Panda. What's left for them? She doesn't
care for the durable ones.

marthooo
07-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks for this. One of the emergency vets just told us to use Nylabone as I didn't want to feed arnie or the young fellas pig ears or rawhide anymore.
I've been trying two things instead: Carrots--they love them. One/third of a carrot makes them feel treated. Also, Sam's Yams--Big Boyz Sweet Potato Dog Chewz. They're dried--and pretty chewy; all of them love them.
My thinking is that sweet potatoes are showing up to be pretty healthy and even ok for diabetics to eat in terms of blood sugar and the way the carb breaks down. Also, that if a bigger piece goes down the gullet, it should be digestible.
If anyone has thoughts/feedback/things you've heard about either of these being good or bad, please let me know.
~martha~
(afiliate of arnie, ludie, dieter, and emily)

marthooo
07-08-2006, 10:46 AM
p.s. I didn't finish my first thought about the Nylabone: though this vet had suggested them, she was really wary of greenies and had found them to cause the same blockage. And, I was surprised she was suggesting Nylabone because when I did try them, I saw little pieces break off and they looked sharp-
So hard to know what to give them. Last year (this is anecdotal) I had a middle school student go to the emergency room because she sliced the inside of her cheek with a jolly rancher she was sucking on...oi.

PopTart
07-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Oh darn... I just went out and bought 3 packs of the nylabone nutrident! :pullhair: Like someone else said... I'm scared to give Elmo anything. How about the bimple bones... anyone hear any bad reports of these?

kpm_tex
07-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Yes, PopTart it is hard to know what is right to give them. Best thing with something like a nylabone is to supervise and see how they handle it. If they are not tearing off chunks like Susa's little BuzzSaw Isabel then they are probably ok... the durable ones like the one pictures get kind of shredded looking on the ends which is *supposed* to be good for helping keep tarter off. But in reality.. any chewy.. if not supervised could cause a problem if the dog is intent on downing the whole thing as fast as possible.
I never leave the dogs with a nylabone or anything like it unless I am near by.

marthooo
07-11-2006, 09:19 PM
My vet warned against greenies--saying she had seen a couple of ugly incidents with them.
We've gone to Sam's Yams--you can find them on frontporchpets.com--perhaps your local pet store--our small local carries them. PetSmart wouldn't even look them up when I talked to the manager. They are digestible, they don't "chew" for a LONG time--but are a good little treat--I think because they're just dried yams, yes, a dog could choke on them, like on food, but they are digestible in chunks in the gi /

Dachshundrsq
07-12-2006, 01:03 AM
Back in late 2000, Nylabone sold these dental wheels, made like the bones only in round wheels with ridges all the way down that was supposed to help get into the crevices of the teeth and clean them. They came in flavors so I bought Chicken and P'Nut Butter for Miss Mon and Missy Ann to chew on while in their crate. Miss Mon would have nothing of it, but Missy Ann LOVED the chicken flavored dental wheel. I noticed she was actually taking small pieces of the ridges off when she chewed on it and I really thought nothing of it until she had to potty. She got massive diarrhea with these little pieces of the dental wheel obvious in her stools and then the blood came, the sharp pieces was shredding her intestinal walls. She pooped these pieces out for a couple of days and lots of bleeding. Needless to say the Dental Wheel hit the trash an very quickly, they took them off the market a few months later.

Lowrider_156
07-12-2006, 08:04 AM
Thanks for sharing this info with us.

PopTart
07-13-2006, 08:23 AM
How about the iams dental chew things? Anyonew try these? I bought some for elmo... they seem a bit softer than the others ones talked about. My puppy trainer had recommended bully tendons... elmo loves these.... but are these dangerous too? Elmo still doesn't have all of his adult teeth in and really enjoys chewing... I'd like to be able to satisfy his jaw with something! LOL

Daley
07-13-2006, 09:13 AM
very aggressive chewer! I had given him a rawhide chew a while ago and he LOVED them, but stopped when my mother warned me (along with all of you) that they are not easily digestible. So then I switched to Nylabone, but only once in a while. I have the edible ones but for the first few days of having it, all Dale will do is "bury" it anywhere he can in the apartment. Then finally he will eat it and I keep an eye on him. But now I am afraid of the Nylabones! I never tried Greenies bc I heard bad things about them. And I have to really keep an eye on Dale's toys because he tears them apart and eats the stuffing! I have repaired a few to no avail and now I just have to get rid of them at a certain point. I made him a sock doll which he loves, but again I have to repair that like every other day. Whew. His 1st birthday is in a month and I don't know what to get him that will be safe! lol Not to mention that I am trying to keep his weight down and cut back on treats...

fuzzybunn
07-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Lucy likes nylabones and doesn't get pieces off them. I thought they were one of the safer chews.