Thread: hair loss on tail

dester&thedube Guest

hair loss on tail

I was courious if this is a common problem. My dachshund has lost hair on the top side of his tail and I fear it is getting worse. I have 2 other dachshunds and theirs are fine. The hair loss is on about three knuckles (joints) of his tail and very thin on the rest of it. It looks awful. If you have any idea of what is causing this or what to do to correct it, please let me know. Thank You. PS. He eats Nutro Natural Choice (chicken & rice) This is one reason I have been looking for another dog food, I thought it may be the food

kpm_tex Guest
    Is his skin dry and flakey? Does it seem to itch or bother him?

Some dachsie do start going bald.. usually on the chest and ears. It's really kind of hard to say what would be causing the hair loss on the tail though... if it gets worse a trip to the vet is in order to rule out mange or anything else. In the mean time you could start to give him fish oil... one capsule a day. That would help with the skin and coat as would finding a food with as few grains as possible in it.

My Mood
    Happy
    Is it kind of crusty where the fur is gone?

Quote Originally Posted by dester&thedube
    I was courious if this is a common problem. My dachshund has lost hair on the top side of his tail and I fear it is getting worse. I have 2 other dachshunds and theirs are fine. The hair loss is on about three knuckles (joints) of his tail and very thin on the rest of it. It looks awful. If you have any idea of what is causing this or what to do to correct it, please let me know. Thank You. PS. He eats Nutro Natural Choice (chicken & rice) This is one reason I have been looking for another dog food, I thought it may be the food
    Becky... momma to my precious baby girl and our puppies,Toby & Rusty
    Rest in Peace
    Joey.... we love you and always will!! 2/1/2005 - 3/3/2013

dester&thedube Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fdcutee
    Is it kind of crusty where the fur is gone?
    Not crusty, just dry. it is not the mange, he has had it a long time, just seems to get gradually worse.

dester&thedube Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kpm_tex
    Is his skin dry and flakey? Does it seem to itch or bother him?

Some dachsie do start going bald.. usually on the chest and ears. It's really kind of hard to say what would be causing the hair loss on the tail though... if it gets worse a trip to the vet is in order to rule out mange or anything else. In the mean time you could start to give him fish oil... one capsule a day. That would help with the skin and coat as would finding a food with as few grains as possible in it.
    What kind of fish oil capsule and what dosage? Thanks.

My Mood
    Happy
    How long? Have you had your vet look at it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by dester&thedube
    Not crusty, just dry. it is not the mange, he has had it a long time, just seems to get gradually worse.
    Becky... momma to my precious baby girl and our puppies,Toby & Rusty
    Rest in Peace
    Joey.... we love you and always will!! 2/1/2005 - 3/3/2013

It could be any number of things this sounds like something your vet should inspect and offer some basic guidance. Two of my boys Frank and Dexter have small callous like spots on their tails that the vet's best estimate is that they are a results of the boys sitting on their tails much of the time. They both sit with a tucked tail a large part of the time. The rest of their til the fine it;s just one area that appears hairless and calloused.
    Tom and Tanner, Gretel and angels (Aggie, Frank and Dexter)

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
    - Unknown

dester&thedube Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchman
    It could be any number of things this sounds like something your vet should inspect and offer some basic guidance. Two of my boys Frank and Dexter have small callous like spots on their tails that the vet's best estimate is that they are a results of the boys sitting on their tails much of the time. They both sit with a tucked tail a large part of the time. The rest of their til the fine it;s just one area that appears hairless and calloused.
    That is more like it, he was crated for 6 weeks after he hurt his back and it got a lot worse. My big question is what can be done to make it grow back?

The vet said in my boys case the hair most likely wouldn't come back. Their overall coats and skin look great so I just don't worry about it. I would still highly recommend you have your vet take a look at the spot. MY vet did a skin scraping to rule out several other possible causes. If it is a health issue other than just a wear spot then it could get worse or spread if left untreated.
    Tom and Tanner, Gretel and angels (Aggie, Frank and Dexter)

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
    - Unknown

bumpergirl Guest
    That same thing happened to Bumper once. The vet called it "rat tail", and said alocpecia (hair loss) is common in dachshunds. The top part of his tail went bald and stayed that way for several months, might have even been as long as a year. Then it grew back and never fell out again.

This is a very common occurance in doxies that have been crated especailly after a back injury. There is really not much you can do to help the hair regrow.

A good quality food is important, I like EVO or Wellness. Then supplements would be in order. I use, Ester C and Fish Oil capulets (the "walmart" brand is fine). Also, since he has had a back issue I would get a joint complex. I like the "Joint Health" and 'Fresh Factor" by Springtime, Inc. 1-800-521-3212
    http://www.springtimeinc.com/ShowView/product/94/2

Yolanda
    Mom to: Elsa, Phoenix, Wetley, Roxy, Stevie & Bella
    In Memory: GOOSEMan 1990 - 2009 , TreyBaby 1997 - 2012, Elsa 1998-2013, and Phoenix, 1997 -2014