Thread: 2 week old puppies w/ fleas. How to get rid of them??

My Mood
    Busy

2 week old puppies w/ fleas. How to get rid of them??

A neighbor of someone that I know has yorkie puppies that have fleas. They are 2 weeks old, and they don't know how to get rid of them.
    Is there any thing to get rid of the fleas on 2 week old pups? I know that Advantage, Frontline and Revolution all require the puppies to be a few weeks older than that...

A nice warm bath with Dawn dishsoap should do the trick.
    ~Shonda, Moo, Dud, Lily and Charlie along with my CCDR foster boy Buddy.

Use http://www.goodsearch.com & help CCDR raise much needed funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!!

My Mood
    Goofy
    I do not know of any flea meds that you can give mama or pups....I think the best option would be to give a bath in a dish soap such as Dawn and try to get as many fleas out as possible also wash all bedding and put down a bowl of water with soap in it near a light it will help catch some fleas in the area.....thats what the vet told me when a stray cat had kittens in my garage a few winters ago. Also it is important to make sure they are wormed as soon as they are able to...fleas carry lots of yucky parisites

Irminsul Guest
    Ask a vet...

My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by Irminsul View Post
    Ask a vet...
    Yup, that's the first thing I told her to do.
    I'll tell her about the dish soap too. for the help, I can always count on you guys

HawaiiDoxieLover Guest
    Do NOT use those topical chemical treatments-they're still rolling around, rubbing against mom and nursing!

She can use Borax in the house, lightly dusted in carpets. Leave it for a while, then vacuum well. With adult dogs you can leave it down, but I'd vacuum it up with the pups and just not let them in that area while it's down. Fleas get EVERYWHERE and are very hard to erradicate if they set up house.

If you visit the puppies, I'd personally strip in your garage, bring your clothes right in and put them in the laundry and then shower.
    Sandy

Mom to My Crew
    My Human Kids (11, 9, 8)
    Buddy - 5 yr old red piebald tweenie
    Kooper - black and tan piebald pup
    Our 2 cats, 3 geckos and the fish!