Thread: Vasculitis on Ear tips

drbhou Guest

Vasculitis on Ear tips

One of my rescues has developed vasculitis along her ear tips. Has anyone had any luck with treating this in any of their doxies? I'm hoping for something topical that might help. When I got her out of the shelter she did not have this so from what I've read, I believe it may have been vaccine induced as she would have just been vaccinated at the shelter. Other than her ear tips, she has the most magnificent black and tan coat I've seen in just about any dachshund.

kpm_tex Guest
    Is it just scabby / scaly edges to the ears? When I google Vasculitis it seems like something completly different.

My Mood
    Hot
    Are they swollen or necrotic? It can be caused by tick bites. Hope the baby gets better.

"A dog wags his tail with his heart"-Martin Buxbaum
    RIP:Skippy 6-24-1994 to 3-20-2007

drbhou Guest
    They are not swollen, just dry. I'm going to try some fish oil. Here is her photo. She's absolutely gorgeous and I've had her up for adoption since August, which amazes me! http://www.petfinder.com/photoView/p...?petid=8902534

Jennifer Guest
    Oh, it's miss Peggy - I've admired her pic for quite some time!!!

Your description sounds pretty typical of either Ear Margin Seborrhea (common in the breed) or Vasculitis, which as you've correctly stated one frequent culprit in weens is recent vaccination (esp rabies) although it can be triggered by many other things. Always a good idea to rule out mites and fungal infections for completeness sake... Is she itchy anywhere? Any other skin / lip / pad problems?

Your vet should have good suggestions for treatment, which often includes:
    • an anti-seborrheic shampoo to remove the crusts
    • +/- topicals to keep the skin supple (a lot of people swear by BagBalm!)
    • +/- supplements such as essential fatty acids (fish oil is great)
    • +/- supplements/meds to improve blood flow (niacin, pentoxifylline, etc)
    • +/- meds if has an immune-mediated component (doxycycline, pred, etc)

For cases where recent vaccination (typically within past 2-3 weeks) is suspected as the trigger:
    • Try to minimize future vaccinations (only vaccinate for diseases that the particular dog is at risk for - ie no lepto if not in your area, etc, and use titer testing to extend the intervals between vaccinations... for rabies, you can try to get permission from your local authorities on using titers but this is sometimes difficult due to legal/human implications).
    • Give vaccines separately (ie one trip for rabies, one trip for dhpp, etc)
    • Use a different brand than the one suspected of triggering the reaction.
    • Ask your vet to report the incident to the vaccine manufacturer and the USDA (good policy for tracking problems)

Here is a blurb from Mercks Manual:
    -----------
    Ear margin seborrhea or ear margin dermatosis is common in Dachshunds, although other breeds with pendulous pinnae may be affected. Lesions usually affect the apex of the pinnae on both sides but can progress to involve the whole ear margin. The cause is unknown. Lesions appear as waxy gray to yellow scale adherent to the base of hair shafts. Plugs of hair can be easily epilated leaving behind a shiny surface to the skin. In severe cases the ear margins are edematous, and fissured. Histologic findings include severe hyperkeratosis and follicular keratosis with dilated follicles filled with keratin debris. Differential diagnoses include sarcoptic mange, pinnal alopecia, proliferative thrombovascular necrosis, dermatophytosis, and frostbite. Dermatophytosis in particular can cause a scaling pinnal dermatitis in dogs, cats, and horses but the ear margin is not typically involved and other areas of the body are generally affected as well. Treatment includes antiseborrheic shampoos (eg, sulfur, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide), keratolytic products, dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate (DSS), and systemic medications that may help normalize the abnormal keratinization process (vitamin A and synthetic retinoids; essential fatty acids). Topical or oral glucocorticoids and pentoxifylline (10 mg/kg, BID-TID ) may be beneficial when severe inflammation and fissures develop.
    -----------

Hope she gets back to her perfectly beautiful self soon!
    Jen

drbhou Guest
    Jen,
    Thanks so much for the info! She's definitely not at all itchy or dry in any other parts of her body. My vets have suggested the vitamin e supplement and the fish oil, so we're giving that a go.