Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning! Warning! Pedigree Denta-stix

Teckle Mom Guest

Warning! Warning! Pedigree Denta-stix

Well, if finally happened - the scare of my lifetime! A while back we were posting here about what to give our kritters to chew. My vet recommended Denta Stix or Pedigree Denta Bone. I chose the Denta-Stix, as they seem to be able to break off small pieces and chew them up!

I gave our guys their usual Denta-Stix this morning - only to have my worse nightmare happen! Schatzi got a piece stuck in her throat. Thank dawg her hoodad stays calm & cool during a crisis (Schatzi had gone limp & her eyes were rolling back in her head). He was able to open her mouth, reach in and very gently & quickly pluck it from her throat. (all the while her hooman Mom is crying her head off!).

Schatzi had an watching over her today - she is fine, fully recovered. (Me? Not so quick to recover)

Did I mention my husband is my hero? (again). No more Denta Stix ever in my house.

So, please be careful what you give your furkins to chew.

Recovery for you. She is probably ready to go after the stix again, if she is like most kittens. All those things scare me. I stopped giving the pups rawhides, even the compressed ones. They get nice BIG marrow bones now, which they couldn't accidently swallow if they were great Danes.

Give your dh a kiss, the kitten a cuddle, and throw those things out.
    It's Never Too Late To Have A Happy Childhood

My Mood
    Doh
    WOW, that's scary. We had similar (but not quite as bad) with a piece of wood off of one of our chairs that Clyde ate. It got stuck and wedged in his throat and I had to pry it out. Yours was worse b/c his wasn't obstructing his airway.

OMG, I will never try those.

Teckle Mom Guest
    I forgot to post the link with the info on the Denta Stix (and what they look like-in case anyone hasn't seen them).

http://www.pedigree.com/dogproducts/...stix+small.asp

Schatzi is snuggled up here beside me, sleeping peacefully-unaware of the scare we just had.

OMG - that is SO scary! I'm so glad everything is okay and give your DH a HUGE hug from me for saving your furgirl's life!!! Woweeee - I'll definitely remember NOT to give mine those things. Wow!!! Hope you're okay now

I'm so glad she's doing fine and has no ill effects from the experience.
    Laurie and Spice

My Mood
    Busy
    So glad you guys were able to get her throat cleared! That is definitely frightening.

My dogs LOVE those things, now we'll have to rethink them
    Mom to: Black Jack, Aiko, Nellie, Lenny, Guy.
    In memory of Miss Pickle baby; 11/23/2003 - 5/22/2007, Omega 3/1/1998 - 12/23/2011, Izzy

My Mood
    Lurking
    WOW is that scarey or what?!? I am glad that you where both home and that it ended up OK. I thought I would send a few good luck charmes but the important one is I am sending you some prayers.
    Thanks for posting this so the rest of us know about the dangers. Some times it is hard to know what to give them or not give them. I am glad your little angel is OK.
    DoxunzX3~~~!

Mz KizZzy blk/tan silver dapple LH tweenie
    Rac-Zor red smooth tweenine
    Chico A WannaBdoxie Ewe Chihuahua

missing my Ivy Ann & Chewie z-it Con-Man and all the special dawgz before them!

wow, thanks!
    Also, greenies are really bad, they say that they are digestible.......digestible my tooshie!!

Many dogs have gone into surgery because of them, and the vets found chunks of the chews in their intestines!!
    SmileyCentral.com
    Kseniya and Vasia
    www.freewebs.com/vasiatheflyingdoxie
    Beautiful pupper Vasia (8/13/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Vasiakine View Post
    wow, thanks!
    Also, greenies are really bad, they say that they are digestible.......digestible my tooshie!!

Many dogs have gone into surgery because of them, and the vets found chunks of the chews in their intestines!!
    How right you are! My vet still recommends them - I need to have a serious talk with that woman. Too many dogs have died from Greenies! There's even a lawsuit ongoing because of a dog dying from Greenies. Stay FAR away from Greenies!

What a scare that must have been and thank goodness Schatzi is ok! Bless hoodad for his quick actions!!
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    ----- M. Acklam

Heidi - Forever in my heart 10/06/2000-03/06/2009
    Pete - Always loved - ?-20/12/2010
    member - Tiny Paws Dog Rescue

My Mood
    Busy
    Just an FYI:
    The Greenies were reformulated after they discovered the digestion problems.
    Mom to: Black Jack, Aiko, Nellie, Lenny, Guy.
    In memory of Miss Pickle baby; 11/23/2003 - 5/22/2007, Omega 3/1/1998 - 12/23/2011, Izzy

My Mood
    Fine
    OMG, I'd have several more grey hairs and several more years shaved off my life. Thank goodness your little Schatzi is okay. Your DH is our hero of the day! Thank you for the valuable warning.
    Gayle

HawaiiDoxieLover Guest
    OH that man is an angel... What an awesome Daddy!
    So glad that everybody is OK and that Daddy of theirs is a genuine hero!

Quote Originally Posted by red&black View Post
    Just an FYI:
    The Greenies were reformulated after they discovered the digestion problems.
    Yeah, they did.....but the product is still UNDIGESTIBLE!!!!!
    SmileyCentral.com
    Kseniya and Vasia
    www.freewebs.com/vasiatheflyingdoxie
    Beautiful pupper Vasia (8/13/07)