Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue dachshund

My Mood
    Mellow

Blue dachshund

My daughters MIL called and said she knows someone who is looking for a blue coat dachshund. She wanted to know if they have any major health problems over and above the usual back etc? I have heard they are prone to alopecia(skin) problems? Any info or links for explanations about the blues would be a help. Thanks.
    My Rescue Furbabies...Ilsa, Gus, Apollo & Casey

My Mood
    Busy
    I dont know if I know of any blue dachshunds that didn't become at least partially if not totally bald at adulthood.
    Mom to: Black Jack, Aiko, Nellie, Lenny, Guy.
    In memory of Miss Pickle baby; 11/23/2003 - 5/22/2007, Omega 3/1/1998 - 12/23/2011, Izzy

My Mood
    Mellow
    I have done abit of research online and the common problem seems to be alopecia hair loss. There are two puppies that one of our meetup people have and I am anxious to see how they fare with it. Time will tell. I wanted to amke sure that I have as much info as possible to tell her. Thanks for your input!

ZBAndMe Guest
    I recently found that blue dachshunds come from poor breeding and almost always end up with long lasting skin infections and coat problems. From what I understand a blue dachshund is a dillute black and tan and people breed them primarily to make money. Another coat pattern to stay away from are the double dapples which don't have the skin and coat issues but they tend to have sight issues among other things. This is some info I found for you:

"Color Mutant Alopecia (Blue Syndrome): Dry, thin, brittle hair over the body, giving a moth-eaten look. Papules and pustules appear on involved skin. Has a genetic basis in blue- and fawn-colored dogs."

"Blue and tan dogs very often have coat problems known as Color Dilution Alopecia (or CDA) such as very thin coats (this hair loss, or alopecia, often does not show up until the dog is 2-7 years old), and skin that is subject to allergies and infections.

It is hard to breed a truly handsome blue and tan dog with a good coat, so very few of them are seen in the show ring, although a lot of them show up on commercial puppy producer web sites as it seems to be the latest "designer" color (heaven knows why). Most blue/tan dogs will have a very sparse hair coat by the time they are 7 years old. There is abundant anecdotal evidence from long-time breeders of blue/tans and Isabella/tans that these dogs are very sensitive to hot and cold temperatures and cannot live outside at all. They tend to sunburn easily, are very prone to developing skin cancers, and they also seem to have compromised immune systems. Vaccine failures are common with dilues and few dilutes live to old age."

I have a blue...please look under the "patchwork" dapple post....

DachsieLVR Guest
    If they're anything like Blue Dobermans, it's a color pattern I'd steer away from if at all possible. I've never had any experience with this pattern in Dachsies, but Blue Dobes are almost always a complete mess.

My's Crew Guest
    I don't have blue/tan doxies I have the isabella/tan doxies. My male Vinnie suffers from alopecia and his mom (Cammie) has hair loss but not as much as Vinnie. I rescued Cammie from a breeder who finally gave up on the dilute color because the puppies were losing all their hair. I know the breeder personally from rescue and she sent me the picture of Vinnie she had on her web site when he was 3 months old, he had no hair then.

The thing is dilute puppies can be born with all their hair and as they get older they start to lose it.

Now there is a mini isabella/tan that comes to meetup and he has a beautiful thick coat. He is at least 2 years old, so hopefully he will keep his coat. There are some out there that will hold their coats but they is very hard to find and cost $$$.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks so much for your help. I have passed on the information and hopefully the person she knows will make good use of it.

morannnb Guest
    If it's not to late to reply (I just registered to this site today!)...I have a 6 yr old blue....

Nigel is mostly bald - he has very sparce hair(s), mostly at the back of his neck, but his nose, legs and hinnie have a soft brown coat. He hates the cold and shivers quite a bit during winter, but he hates sweaters even more. Over the last year some 'age spots' (white spots) have shown up mostly on his belly and he has little bumps here and there (looks like pimples). He also has bowed legs in the back and eye allergies. All this is normal for a blue, per the vet!

Honestly, keeping him warm, his skin moisturized after baths, and putting eye gel in occasionally are the only things we have to do special for him. But we know things may develop in the future (the bowed legs could become a problem). There is nothing wrong with getting a blue as long as they don't plan to breed them, they are not coming from an irresponsible breeder, and they know blues need a little more care. Nigel is our special guy, warts and all!

My Mood
    Mellow
    "If it's not to late to reply (I just registered to this site today!)...I have a 6 yr old blue...."

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your telling me the story of your furbaby. I don't know if these people are still wanting a blue dachsie but hopefully the info here will help them deside.

blues

I have a blue dapple. He is 3yrs old and going bald.
    Bren
    Harmony Mini Farm/Rescue - Jetersville, VA

My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Doxiegal View Post
    I have a blue dapple. He is 3yrs old and going bald.
    They are all bald but beautiful dachsies to us! Thank you all for your help.

daionara Guest
    Certainly I read a lot about blues and alopecia. But the way so many people talk about it, it's like it only happens to the dilutes. I have two smooth coat boys, one black/tan and one chocolate/tan dapple. BOTH have alopecia and have lost most the hair on thier chest, tummies, backsides and the backs of thier rear legs. I think this has GOT to be more than a hair color thing. It's obviously more common in smoothies and it seems like the shorter and sleeker thier coat is, the more likely they are to have alopecia. I dealt with two rescue females and they both had very thick coats, almost like a Rottweiler.

Izzy is a chocolate dapple and her fairer-color fur has a tendency to not exist. She's fairly bald on her back/neck at the moment. Bald or not though - she's beautiful! (We just have to keep sunscreen or clothes on her for outside time)
    Daddy to
    Black Jack
    Aiko
    Princess Grand Diva Nellie
    Lenny
    and our newest little man Guy
    and always Miss Pickle baby 11/23/2003 - 5/22/2007 and our beloved Omega who took a part of us with him Dec23,2011,and our sweet Isabelle who left us to reunite with Pickle on 6/10/12

http://www.myspace.com/RedOnionCO

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1208737912

If it weren't for the Sheepdog,no one would be standing between the sheep and the wolves. One ending, one result: Victory (Motto of the Corrections Officer)

SAVE ONE UNTIL THERE ARE NONE-motto of the rescuer

Quote Originally Posted by daionara View Post
    Certainly I read a lot about blues and alopecia. But the way so many people talk about it, it's like it only happens to the dilutes. I have two smooth coat boys, one black/tan and one chocolate/tan dapple. BOTH have alopecia and have lost most the hair on thier chest, tummies, backsides and the backs of thier rear legs. I think this has GOT to be more than a hair color thing. It's obviously more common in smoothies and it seems like the shorter and sleeker thier coat is, the more likely they are to have alopecia. I dealt with two rescue females and they both had very thick coats, almost like a Rottweiler.
    A lot of doxies get pattern baldnes (alopecia) ....the dilute problem is a completely different problem and it is called "Color Dilute Alopecia" or "Blue Doberman syndrome" ...you can google it and see that it is quite different.
    CDA is the same for LH as well as smooth... comparing CDA to pattern baldness is comparing apples to oranges
    I believe I have posted several article in the coat section to help you understand the difference.