Thread: Anyone know of a dachshund shaped cake?

My Mood
    Busy

Anyone know of a dachshund shaped cake?

My birthday is coming up in March and I'm turning 25 LOL.
    I'm having a few friends over for a potluck and want to make a cake.
    Does anyone know of a cake pan that is shaped like a dachsie? I think that'd be so cool.

I've seen the dachshund cookie cutters, but not a cake pan.

Thanks!

No, never seen a cake pan. But you can probably do something yourself. If you can draw a dog, or look online for a simple doxie shape. For example, print out one of the doxie shapes they use for hitch covers. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-D...2em118Q2el1247 (I have this one by the way!) Blow it up, cut it out and use it to cut the shape out of a sheet cake. I made my son a skateboard last year for his birthday that way. Should be fairly simple.

PS: Happy Birthday!!! What day is yours? We share a birthday month - I turn 43 on the 18th.
    Sandy

Mom to My Crew
    My Human Kids (11, 9, 8)
    Buddy - 5 yr old red piebald tweenie
    Kooper - black and tan piebald pup
    Our 2 cats, 3 geckos and the fish!

My Mood
    Busy
    That's a good idea. I may make one as a trial run this weekend . I can never turn down home made cake. LOL
    My b-day is on the 12th . Thanks for the tip!!

Be sure to cover your cake with a crumb coating before you frost it. Cut it out, stick it in the fridge or freezer for a bit for it to firm up. Then take your frosting, thin it out with some clear corn syrup and put a VERY thin layer on your cake. Let it set up in the fridge for a bit and then frost.

If you do it, please be sure to post a pic!
    Sandy

Mom to My Crew
    My Human Kids (11, 9, 8)

My Mood
    Busy
    What is crumb coating? And why do you put it on the cake before frosting ?
    If I make the cake, I'll take pictures!

My Mood
    Busy
    When you cut a cut (to size, for shape, etc) you no longer have a smooth clean surface to apply frosting to. The crumb coat is a bit of "ugly" frosting used to seal in the loose bits and pieces so you can put on a nice pretty crumb-free layer for decorating.

I'll see if I can find some how-to websites for you

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-crumb-coat.htm
    http://video.about.com/baking/How-to-Frost-a-Cake.htm
    Last edited by red&black; 02-12-2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: added websites
    Mom to: Black Jack, Aiko, Nellie, Lenny, Guy.
    In memory of Miss Pickle baby; 11/23/2003 - 5/22/2007, Omega 3/1/1998 - 12/23/2011, Izzy

My Mood
    Busy
    Ooo, thanks for the links!
    I assume the crumb coat is in the baking isle right? Is it actually called crumb coat, or what should I be looking for?

Thanks for all the help!!

My Mood
    Busy
    Just use your regular frosting, but thin it out with water or simple syrup until its almost too thin to put on a knife. This will be just a thin thin layer to seal in crumbs.
    Then refrigerate the cake to let it set. Once it has set nicely you can do the regular frosting.
    Mom to: Black Jack, Aiko, Nellie, Lenny, Guy.
    In memory of Miss Pickle baby; 11/23/2003 - 5/22/2007, Omega 3/1/1998 - 12/23/2011, Izzy

Yup, Red & Black told you right. A crumb coating is just regular frosting that you add clear corn syrup to until it is a very thin consistency. Take about a cup of frosting and add say a tablespoon of clear corn syrup at a time till it is thin and super spreadable. Then coat your cake with this thinned out frosting and let it chill for a bit. What this does is to tie up all those loose crumbs that would otherwise get mixed up into your pretty final frosting of the cake. Instead of messing up your cake, they are trapped in a very thin layer of frosting. Once the crumb coating sets up, you decorate it as usual with the rest of unthinned frosting.
    Sandy

Mom to My Crew
    My Human Kids (11, 9, 8)

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Oh a Dachsie cake sounds so cute! I share my birthday month with you and Sandy too!......45 on March 15th!