Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy shaking after eating

Puppy shaking after eating

Is this normal? The puppy we we just got, I explained in adoption thread just came from a mill.

I fed her soft food this morning and she was shaking like a leaf.
    It reminds me when kittens drink milk on their own the first time.

Could it be she has never had solid food?

Ama

My Mood
    Bored
    Considering where she came from, I suppose that's always a possibility; or she had minimal exposure. How old is she?
    It just breaks my to know how some of these little ones start out in life.

My Mood
    Doh
    Is there any way you can ask your vet? Maybe they can recommend some sort of smooth transition onto food. I'm just so thankfull that you're giving her a better life.

The guy first said nine weeks old, but when she went and picked them up he said 12 weeks, so I dont know. I will see if the vet has a better idea. Her teeth are very small and she is skin and bones. She is also having a hard time learning to drink water, so my guess is she was nursing until now.

I have no idea - poor thing! Sending ! I agree - ask the vet.

My Mood
    Doh
    I've been checking in to see if you reached the vet yet. Sending more for this baby.

They are not open until Monday, and I will have her in Monday. Im driving her to my mesa vet who I trust with their lives There used to be a wait, but with the economy there isn't. That is sad really.

Ama

To keep her hydrated take some dry food you have a soak it. Make sure it's good and mushy. This is how I started Bindi's puppies out on kibble and they's now graduated to regular out dry kibble and will be 7 weeks old on Monday.
    ~Shonda, Moo, Dud, Lily and Charlie along with my CCDR foster boy Buddy.

Use http://www.goodsearch.com & help CCDR raise much needed funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!!

A small baby syringe might also help by squirting water into the side of her mouth.
    Here are rays for her.
    ~*~* Irma *~*~
    GUNNER, AND PETUNIA THE LITTLE BLACK AND TAN / DAPPLE WIENER'S THAT STOLE MY HEART FOREVER.
    Yahoo pics to Gunner

maddoxies Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Amatrine View Post
    The guy first said nine weeks old, but when she went and picked them up he said 12 weeks, so I dont know. I will see if the vet has a better idea. Her teeth are very small and she is skin and bones. She is also having a hard time learning to drink water, so my guess is she was nursing until now.
    PetsMart and other pet stores will have nursing bottes and powdered replacement for mother's milk. That might help her transition to food, at least the bottle would get water into her.

When we first feed canned food to our young puppies we mix it with canned evaporated milk that has been watered down and warmed. That way they have to lap it up more than eat it.
    Also we feed them a mixture of a can of evaporated milk, a can of water, an egg yolk, 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt, 1 TBS mayo. Mix in a blender. feed this to them just warm, either through a bottle or on a plate if the pup will eat it that way. We feed this to new borns who are too weak to eat and when they are first start on solid food as we only feed them a tiny amount once a day with the canned food until their bellies adjust to the changes.
    We use this instead of the powdered formula.
    Annie
    Mommy to Sassy, Barney, Nick, Itty, and little Mina Magnolia

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am - unknown

Buddy our first rescue7/2005-2/2006
    my baby boy Willie12/06 - 2/07
    Scotty Scooby Doo 7/02 - 8/08
    my first baby girl Silly 12/29/1999-11/03/2009
    Abbi Rose 3/08-1/20/2011

My Mood
    Hot
    If she was in a cage with 5 others it could be that she was pushed around by the stronger ones and she's scared that she will be attacked because she's eating first. I'd start her on a formula that was suggested at least she will get nutrition till you get her to the vets.Poor baby!!

"A dog wags his tail with his heart"-Martin Buxbaum
    RIP:Skippy 6-24-1994 to 3-20-2007

shes not shaking if I give her just a little at a time throughout the day, and that seems to be working. So far her poops are normal. She is learning the water.
    I put my finger in the dish and move it, she thinks its a toy, then gets the water, and will drink some. I think I will give her some canned milk too to help her get some weight on.

My Mood
    Cheeky
    In your other post about her you were saying that she wouldn't eat the kibble even watered down, the way I start my puppies on kibble is to water it down and then mix in a bit of canned food to make it more smell more appealing. I also mix a bit of dry puppy milk replacer in with the kibble and water then for sure they get enough vitamins and stuff.

Terri

Awww, poor wee one!! Bless you for taking her in and sending her way!!
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    ----- M. Acklam

Heidi - Forever in my heart 10/06/2000-03/06/2009
    Pete - Always loved - ?-20/12/2010
    member - Tiny Paws Dog Rescue