Thread: Post-Spay Surgery 'lump'

My Mood
    Fine

Post-Spay Surgery 'lump'

My 7-month old lil doxie girl (Gretel) just had her spay surgery on Friday of last week.

I took her back to the vet yesterday due to some swelling at the incision site. The vet said that the swelling was due to the shaving that was done prior to surgery, and that some scar tissue had formed. He prescribed a cortisone cream to be applied to the incision site twice a day. He specifically stated that the swelling wasn't due to a hernia.

Well... since taking her to the vet yesterday, the swelling has turned into a definite 'lump', that is twice the size it was yesterday.

I plan on taking her back to the vet -- however, in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with post-surgery swelling and/or hernias. If so ... can you give me some advice and share your experience?

in advance!

Debbie
    (Nana)

"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

I'm glad you're taking her back in - it seems odd that the lump has grown so quickly. I'm wondering if it is an infection. Please let us know what the vet says!
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    ----- M. Acklam

Heidi - Forever in my heart 10/06/2000-03/06/2009
    Pete - Always loved - ?-20/12/2010
    member - Tiny Paws Dog Rescue

My Mood
    Busy
    Taking her to the vet is always a safe move, in any case.

However, my experiences with spay/neuters (and between my dogs and the foster dogs that's a whole lot of surgery), many of them develop a fairly sizeable surgical site lump. It's usually from the internal stitches and will go down on its own (but as others have mentioned infection is a possibility).
    Mom to: Black Jack, Aiko, Nellie, Lenny, Guy.
    In memory of Miss Pickle baby; 11/23/2003 - 5/22/2007, Omega 3/1/1998 - 12/23/2011, Izzy

I am glad you are taking your girl back to Dr.
    We had issues with Caramel's last summer when we adopted her.
    Here's how it looked. Does she look more swollen?

It looked even worse at the end.
    I hope your girl will be well very soon.

Molly,MacKenzie,Junji Asher,Caramel

Kotaro Asher 1984/6/18 - 1996/10/14
    Juntaro Jeremy 1984/6/18/ - 2000/8/11

Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue
    http://www.c2cdr.org

Lowell Humane Society
    http://lowellhumanesociety.org/index.html

for her. None of mine had any problems
    Kris proudly owned by
    Anne Oaklee & Bossco Tee
    MyTinker Belle Always & Forever
    MyFurother Dudley Doolittle Always & Forever

My Mood
    Lurking
    Molly was spayed a couple of months ago and she developed an infection at the top of her incision. We were prescribed antibiotics which get rid of the infection but there was still a small bump at the one spot and it puss filled which drained when you applied pressure to the area but was back the next day. The vet did a check of the puss and cleared any infection worry and recommended a hot compress twice a day. Over the course of a few days the stitch slowly worked its way out of her body to a point where I was able to just pull it out. After a few more days it healed up nicely with no bump, just a little more of a scar then the other part of her incision.

Also my vet did all the extra 3 or 4 or 5 visits (I was worried) at no charge which included the antibiotics. Hopefully yours should do this as well as aftercare from the surgery which you have already paid for.

My Mood
    Busy
    I'll add that my nephew also developed an incision-site lump when he had his hernia surgery last month (his came from his internal stitches also). Pretty common event!
    Mom to: Black Jack, Aiko, Nellie, Lenny, Guy.
    In memory of Miss Pickle baby; 11/23/2003 - 5/22/2007, Omega 3/1/1998 - 12/23/2011, Izzy

My Mood
    Fine
    So sorry I didn't get back to you until now!

I took Gretel back to the vet earlier in the week. He assured me that it wasn't a hernia (which was my fear) and said that the lump was scar tissue (can it form that quickly??). There was a small amount of swelling that went down during the week. The hard lump that was at the incision site flared up mid-week, then has reduced in size considerably. The incision (despite the small lump) looks great ... it is almost invisible already (wow). The vet prescribed a cortisone ointment for a rash caused by pre-op shaving. I applied the ointment for a few days, which became a 'treat' for Gretel (lol) ...who would lick it off as soon as I applied it. I was ready to go back to the vet for an e-collar when the swelling/lump/rash starting getting smaller/better.

Thanks for your concern and for sharing your experiences. Gretel is back to normal ... running and playing (despite the fact we are all following her around trying to get her to act more like a convalescent ...

Debbie
    (Nana)

"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

My little Gretel had a lump after her spay too. It kind of felt hard, but the vet explained to me they have to cut three different layers to get to the area to do the procedure. The hardest part of this was trying to keep her from jumping or running while she was healing!

I had to take her back in twice, but eventually the lump went away and Gretel is a happy little girl right now. Especially now that her momma is home for a few min and made her a nice breakfast!!
    RIP Sweet little Heidi 1995 - 2007 & My precious boy Oscar 2001 - 2008

My little blessings in heaven, watching over all of us

My Mood
    Cheerful
    When Dixie was spayed, she also had a pretty good sized lump that came on several days after her surgery. They said it was completely normal and not to worry. That it would reduce and eventually go away. It did.

GLAD everything is back to normal
    Peace, Cathy

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/647672
    In Loving Memory of Champ 1991-2007
    Link to Letter from Champ: http://www.dachsie.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=42440