Thread: Blue eyed doxies

freckles Guest

Blue eyed doxies

How common are dachshunds with blue eyes and how does that even happen? I always thought blue eyes in dogs were reserved for siberian huskies. But I have been seeing dachshunds with blue eyes more and more. Are breeders that breed for this quality doing anything unscrupulous?

I know dapples (and double dapples) commonly have blue eyes. Mine for instance is a dapple and she has one mostly blue eye with a fleck of brown in the corner and one brown eye. Her litter mate was also a dapple but had two brown eyes, a lady at the park has a double dapple that has two blue eyes, a member here as a matter of fact has a double dapple "Peanut" with two pretty blue eyes. Its a genetic thing and luck of the draw on whether or not they are born with blue eyes Its never "reserved" for one breed or another, its just a genetic "defect" so to speak that causes them to be different colors then brown, Dapples just so happen to have that gene to cause blue eyes. There are other breeds (some dogs that are merle/similar to dapple that have blue eyes) As far as frequency of blue eyes and them being common, again its not going to appear in black and tan dachshunds without dapple in their liniage, wont occur in a red without dapple in their liniage and even in some dapples there are eyes that are partially blue and partially brown, in the one eye.

If you search "blue eyes" on the forum you will see lots of very good threads on the topic, i was very surprised with the information shared here on the topic, there are some as well that have great information in regards to proper terms for eyes with two colors, dogs with different color eyes (meaning one blue one brown) exc

My Mood
    Mellow
    The more informed on genetics DBB people may know if this link has good info.

http://www.countrygardendoxie.com/color.htm

We also see the blue eyes in the Blue merle( similar to dappled dachsies) Shelties(Shetland Sheepdogs) and the sable merles(similar to doube dapple dachsies)).
    My Rescue Furbabies...Ilsa, Gus, Apollo & Casey

great website Susan!! I knew there were other breeds with blue eyes, I couldnt think of which ones lol.. austrailian shepards also have blue eyes, as do some of the cattle dogs/blue healers, ive seen one corgi with blue eyes (again, those with merle coloration).. of course there are random cases of blue eyes too and im sure thats *possible* in any breeds its just more rare

My Mood
    Asleep
    I have a dachshund with a single blue eye.