Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much Is dachshund supose to eat?

How much Is dachshund supose to eat?

I know its a fact that Dachshunds eat a lot but how much is enough?
    Also whats the best dog food to feel them?
    I feed daisy beneficial ( I think that's right)
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

My Mood
    Mellow
    1/4th in the morning and 1/4 in the evening. Snackies between but healthy ones. I feed Taste of the Wild.

If you're feeding Beneful just a word of warning. It's complete trash junk food. My good friend was feeding her Beagle that and poor Pepper had nothing but issues. I finally got her to read up some about the benefits of a proper dog food, she switched out to Blue which is a 5 star on that site and Miss Pepper is doing amazingly better.

Ahh the power of good food.

Your Dachsie is worth it.

What your Beneful ranks ( one of the flavors as you didn't mention which )
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...t=1873&cat=all

Not trying to seem uptight about the food. When I first got Molly she ate total junk food until I asked many questions and did a TON of reading. I'm still learning about the good and bads for foods.
    Last edited by Tucker's Mom; 07-12-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Deleted a word.
    Mina Weens? Jag älskar dem .. det är så enkelt.

Blog:
    Jibberish

the link you gave is what i buy her!
    i bought her a bag of that today im definitely going to switch!
    your doxies are adorable by the way.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I agree, start with 1/2 a cup a day and just watch their weight. I feed Bailey 1/2 a cup and Roxy gets 3/4 a cup a day. She is one of those rare dachshunds that it is hard to keep weight on. The main thing is to make sure they have a waist. If you look from above you should be able to see a slight indent between the end of the ribcage and the back legs. Others can probably describe that better than I can. With Dachshunds being prone to back problems it is very important to keep them at a nice healthy weight. Being overweight causes a strain on their back. I am not saying that a dachshund at a healthy weight won't have back problems. I am just saying it is easier on them for so many reasons to keep them at a good weight.

BTW: I used to feed Beneful and it gave Roxy really bad gas. Someone told me it was probably all the artificial colors and flavors in it. I feed Canidae All Life Stages and they love it.
    In Loving Memory of Roxy . Aug. 1, 1997- December 1, 2011.

"If you want to sacrifice the admiration of many men for the criticism of one, go ahead, get married"-Katherine Hepburn.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Depends on the dog is my opinion. Some eat more than others, just like people, metabolism & exercise levels are different

Our Nelson & Daffy would eat a whole bag of food if it were put in front of them...and still want more. We have to watch their weight because they would chunk up if we let them.
    Squirt and Digger would just eat what made them content and walk away. They are trim and lean.

None of them have a weight issue. You have to carefully balance exercise and food portions.

Nelson & Squirt both get 1/3 cup twice a day But Nelson is 17lbs & Squirt is 12lbs...but see this keeps them both at their appropriate weight.
    Daffy gets slightly less than 1/3 cup and Digger gets a little more than 1/3 cup. We have to watch Daffy in the winter time and right now Digger is getting 2/3 cup because he's so active. Daffy is 12lbs & Digger is 17lbs.

Start with something--I see others have recommended--and after a few weeks see how you need to adjust it.
    Amy
    SE WI ~

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    --Immanuel Kant

You may need to adjust the amount you feed all year round. If she is busier and outside more in the summer, you may need to cut back a bit in the fall. I think 1/2 cup per day is a good start too. My seniors which are 9.5 and 10.5 lbs get 3/4 cup a day plus veggies and strawberries/blueberries etc. They have a good run playing ball twice a day all year round. I feel like that's a LOT of food for 2 mini seniors but they are trim and lean. So, it's a figure it out as you go kind of thing. As mentioned already, please be sure she maintains a smaller waistline. She should not look like a sausage.

Engli, our 14.5 yr old pie girl,
    Ch. Beau, our 12 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 7 yrs old

~Penny~

Sleep until you're hungry. Eat until you're sleepy.

Just for a chuckle...

Good luck!

~Penny~

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by BeauBuddy View Post
    You may need to adjust the amount you feed all year round. If she is busier and outside more in the summer, you may need to cut back a bit in the fall. I think 1/2 cup per day is a good start too. My seniors which are 9.5 and 10.5 lbs get 3/4 cup a day plus veggies and strawberries/blueberries etc. They have a good run playing ball twice a day all year round. I feel like that's a LOT of food for 2 mini seniors but they are trim and lean. So, it's a figure it out as you go kind of thing. As mentioned already, please be sure she maintains a smaller waistline. She should not look like a sausage.

lol I love the drawings! But seriously, you are right. I can't say what amount I feed Ringo, as I don't measure it, but he never gains weight, and he looks healthy, so I know I've got it right ^_^

Oh, and it is definitely true that you sometimes have to adjust the amount depending on the season. I have to feed Ringo a lot more in the winter, otherwise he loses weight. And he barely spends any time out in the cold, but it just affects him so strongly! So keep an eye on your doxie, if the weather turns cold and you notice she's looking too thin, try increasing her food a bit.

This is my 10.5 yr old girl. She is really amazing. If you can manage to exercise them well through the year, manage their weight, they will age very well.

~Penny~

My Mood
    Breezy
    Penny;
    The drawings are great...where did you find that?? I've not seen one of a dachshund before, I will save it when I get home on my own computer.
    Amy
    Amy
    SE WI ~

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    --Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by aburgstede View Post
    Penny;
    The drawings are great...where did you find that?? I've not seen one of a dachshund before, I will save it when I get home on my own computer.
    Amy
    I'm not sure, but it's been posted on here before. I saved it onto photobucket when someone askes about correct weight.

~Penny~

Somewhere I read where puppies should be fed 3x a day. I feed my adults (age 8 and 12) 2x a day, 1/4 C Natural Balance Kibble and 1/2 can of short cut green beans rinsed off (I rinse the salt off). They also get 1 TBSP of nonfat plain yogurt and a few (maybe 10) cranberries to prevent UTI's. A couple of times a week they get 1/2 can of sardines in water. They look good and their health is good, so far. The illustrations are excellent! (And as mentioned, Beneful is NOT a good food. Most dog foods you buy at the supermarket are not good dog foods, except for Merrick. Check the "feeding" forum and you'll get lots of good suggestions for healthy food to feed your dog. And read the labels of any dog food you buy. There's a web site called the Dog Food Project; I suggest you read it because it has some excellent information on all brands and varieties of dog foods, written by someone who is totally unbiased. Even the food your vet might recommend is NOT always good dog food!)

Quote Originally Posted by aburgstede View Post

Our Nelson & Daffy would eat a whole bag of food if it were put in front of them...and still want more.
    Thats exactly how Daisy is!!
    But I'd say if I'm suppose to feed her 1/3 or 1/2 cup a day I'm over feeding her because I'm pretty sure she gets more then that!..
    But when I feed her she acts like she's starving and she's far from it! ;/
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I posted it for someone a few months ago.

Chart Dachshund Weight

Know When Your Dog Needs To Diet And Exercise

To chart Dachshund weight is very simple. Use the picture chart below to help you tell if your Dachshund is over weight and by how much. Obesity in Dachshunds is very unhealthy, just as it is in humans. Being overweight can affect their heart, lungs, and joints. A Dachshund that is overweight can encounter other severe problems as well. The most common is back problems. This is because the Dachshund is so long; gravity pulls on the back if there is too much weight on it. Being that Dachshunds are very prone to obesity, you need to have some information on how to prevent this. In my home I chart Dachshund weight once a month.

If when you chart Dachshund weight and you see that they are overweight then there are some steps that you can take. One of the first prevention measures to help with obesity is a proper diet. Make sure your dog is eating the proper types of food. With puppies make sure they are eating a nutritious puppy food. You might ask yourself is it necessary to purchase the expensive dog food or is it ok to buy the cheaper brands? Well you can probably answer this yourself; is it better for you to eat junk food or fruits and vegetables? When looking at a dog food label read the ingredients. This will tell you what the majority of the food is made of. Some type of meat (Chicken, Beef, and Fish) should be the first on the list. Watch out for food that list meat by-products. Meat by-products are meat from animals that we would not eat. A lot of times it consists of dying, diseased, or disabled animals. It can also be horses or other pets that have been put to sleep. Food that contains corn gluten or corn gluten meal as main ingredients should be avoided. If one of the first ingredients is corn then the dog food is primarily filler and is not very nutritious. Once your dog is on a nutritious diet you will have fewer stools to pick up as well. For adult dogs, chart Dachshund weight and take the same advice about the ingredients of the food, it will help your dachshund in proper digestion and keep them healthy. Here is an example of the ingredients of a good dog food.

Lamb & Rice Flavor • Ingredients: Lamb Meal, Rice Flour, Rice Gluten, Rice Bran, Ground Rice, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Natural Flavor, Soybean Oil, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Proteinate, Garlic, Manganous Oxide, Chondroitin Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), L-Carnitine, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
    • Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min) 27.0%, Crude Fat (min) 13.0%, Crude Fiber (max) 4.0%, Moisture (max) 10.0%, Linoleic Acid (min) 3.5%, Calcium (min) 1.0%, Calcium (max) 1.5%, Phosphorus (min) 0.6%, Phosphorus (max) 1.3%, Zinc (min) 240 mg/kg, Vitamin E (min) 200 IU/kg, Ascorbic Acid (min)** 35 mg/kg, L-Carnitine (min)** 15 mg/kg, Glucosamine Hydrochloride (min)** 325 mg/kg, Chondroitin Sulfate (min)** 250 mg/kg.

The next thing you might ask yourself is how much do I feed my Dachshund? When you chart Dachshund weight you will know whether to increase food or decrease food. You can read the manufactures recommendations on the package then divide the amount into two servings one for in the morning and one for in the evening. Put the food down each time for approximately twenty minutes. What ever you do, don’t table feed your Dachshund they will start to beg and it will create a nutritional imbalance. If you want to feed your Dachshund treats then it is recommended that steamed vegetables are a good source. Below is a table of approximately how much your Dachshund should eat based on its weight.

~*~* Irma *~*~
    GUNNER, AND PETUNIA THE LITTLE BLACK AND TAN / DAPPLE WIENER'S THAT STOLE MY HEART FOREVER.
    Yahoo pics to Gunner

You know the food you feed.... is realy about the same price that you can get a premium food for, the food you buy is not that cheap...The grocery store brand you have...you have to give more food everyday--the premium you give less, and your dog will have better nutrition...So money wise it works out better with the premium food..
    Natural Balance is good, Chicken Soup for the Canine Soule is good, Taste of the Wild is great and Merricks, and Wellness are also great foods. Some of these you should be able to get at Petsmart.
    ~*~* Irma *~*~
    GUNNER, AND PETUNIA THE LITTLE BLACK AND TAN / DAPPLE WIENER'S THAT STOLE MY HEART FOREVER.
    Yahoo pics to Gunner