Thread: Wasps under the shingles

Wasps under the shingles

Every year we seem to get a wasp nest. I found one this morning when I was getting buzzed in the back yard. Where the shingles end on the garage, where eavestroughing would be, they are sneaking under the shingles. Too bad it's on the back yard side, the other side is on the neighbor's property line and not a play area.

Should we pick up some wasp spray now (if it's still on the shelves) and wait until a few frosts to really spray it? I know about spraying in the evening after dark. However being on a ladder is pretty vulnerable if they have another opening to come out of.

Any suggestions?

Engli, our 14 yr old pie girl,
    Ch. Beau, our 12 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 6 yrs old

~Penny~

Sleep until you're hungry. Eat until you're sleepy.

I would get rid of them as soon as possible, I know hubby is always finding them on our shed and garages. We seem to get alot of them, they love to get under our siding. Maybe put on some heavy clothing so they cant sting you as easily. I know they say dont spray from underneath and spray at night when they are all in the nest. I just got stung in our backyard wearing scandles so Im not to brave around bees right now bc it hurt like the devil!! If I were doing it I would have on googles, boots, gloves, and a long shirt and pants and oh ya, a hat too. I still remember the pain from the last sting!

My Mood
    Goofy
    My step dad is an Orkin man and he always says getting rid of wasps should be done right away, and it should be done a few times, also when it is finally cold, get the nest out of there because they will come back. We has one in our soffet and had to take it all down to get several nests out, because we would kill the wasps but they came back the next year and the nests just kep getting bigger.
    "Never be afraid to do in our hearts what we feel to be right especially if the well being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way." Unknown

Thanks for your replies. Our garage is insulated and we went up into the attic and thankfully they are not in there. We're guessing they are in the soffit then. We'll have to go hunting for wasp spray. The neighbor behind us has a good size apple tree so it's a food source for them. He's been harvesting the apples this weekend as are the other neighbors with apples. They will be getting hungry and nasty.

Engli, our 14 yr old pie girl,
    Ch. Beau, our 12 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 6 yrs old

~Penny~

Sleep until you're hungry. Eat until you're sleepy.

Good luck with your wasp hunting and extermination

I've got a wasp nest somewhere between the ground floor of my house and my basement ceiling, right over my washer and dryer The basement has a drop ceiling and the panels in that area are missing due to a water leak several years ago (just never replaced the panels) and that's where they come out. Last weekend I figured out there werer a bunch of them, big nasty red ones, so I trotted down there with my 20 ft wasp spray and a flyswatter, killed about 12 and then one maneuvered around behind me and stung me...yes...smack square in the middle of my butt cheek Through several layers of clothing, no less. So, I screamed like a girl, dropped my flyswatter and ran back upstairs.
    Tracey

Owned by:
    Chief - LH choc/tan dapple male, adopted Sept 2006

Nitro a/k/a Goober - Smooth choc/tan male, born 12-29-08

And my sweet little Petey (12/26/05 - 2/15/09) RIP baby boy, we still miss you