Thread: Swollen Paw Pad

Swollen Paw Pad

I haven't posted here in a while but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what might be going on with Daisy's paw. The area in between her toe pad and the main pad on her front left foot is pink and swollen. She is limping a little because of it. I can't see anything stuck in it. I will be taking her to the vet tomorrow but would like to do anything I can at home today for her. Thanks in advance.
    Mom to Daisy

My Mood
    Happy
    could it be a spider bite? that is what happened to Miss Vanna a few years back, we ended up taking her to the Evet because it scared us. She never complains about anything so we noticed it because she was limping. .I'll try to find pictures of it and post it. I might even have a post on here about it:-) I'm sure they just gave her an antibotic and maybe a shot but regardless you said you have an appt so you should be good:-) just keep an eye on it, maybe a benadryl to help with the swelling ?

lots of for Miss Daisy
    Lori & the Wyatt Weiners - Cosmo, Joey, Miss Vanna, & Miss Opi

I agree, it could easily be a spider bite and a small dose of benadryl won't hurt. I am at work and don't remember the dosing. Anyone have it handy?

Does it hurt her if you touch the area?

Maybe soak her foot in warm salty water.

Engli, our 14 yr old pie girl,
    Ch. Beau, our 12 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 6 yrs old

~Penny~

Sleep until you're hungry. Eat until you're sleepy.

My Mood
    Happy
    here is the post that shows the picture and the treatment. . . and for benadryl dosage I give my 16 lb furkids 1/2 or whole pill depending on the situation. Miss Opi, 10 lb( ok maybe 11 1/2:-) probably just 1/2.

http://dachsie.org/vbb/showthread.ph...na+spider+bite

My Mood
    Cheeky
    Not trying to be an alarmist but I would get her in to the vet ASAP, last year I had a friend in Indiana have the same thing happen to her doxie Fancy, at first it was just a slight swelling and slight limping, they gave her a benadryl, the next day her entire leg was swollen to twice its size. It was decided it was a reaction to a spider bite and sent her home the next day she was lethargic and very ill. Rushed back to the vet she spent 4 days in intensive care, finally they thought she was doing better sent her home and she crossed to the bridge that night. She had been bitten by a brown recluse. The toxicity of the spiders venom gave her a massive infection that was more than her little body could fight off. Don't mess with a suspected spider bite. If they had realized what had bitten Fancy from the get go maybe her sweet life could have been saved.

Terri

My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmother View Post
    Not trying to be an alarmist but I would get her in to the vet ASAP, last year I had a friend in Indiana have the same thing happen to her doxie Fancy, at first it was just a slight swelling and slight limping, they gave her a benadryl, the next day her entire leg was swollen to twice its size. It was decided it was a reaction to a spider bite and sent her home the next day she was lethargic and very ill. Rushed back to the vet she spent 4 days in intensive care, finally they thought she was doing better sent her home and she crossed to the bridge that night. She had been bitten by a brown recluse. The toxicity of the spiders venom gave her a massive infection that was more than her little body could fight off. Don't mess with a suspected spider bite. If they had realized what had bitten Fancy from the get go maybe her sweet life could have been saved.

Terri
    I really have to agree with you Terri now that I think about it that is why we went to the Evet that night because Mike was concerned about a brown recluse as we were guessing what it could be.

My Mood
    Bored
    I'm picturing a round pinkish "bubble" between the toe pad and the main pad - is this correct? If so, it is an abcess that just seems to appear out of nowhere and is not that uncommon. Our first dachsie had a couple of bouts with this. Yes, she definitely should be seen by your vet. He may/may not lance it and put her on antibiotics to prevent infection.

Someone on DBB had a similar situation and actually took a pic so we could see the problem (can't, for the life of me, remember who). Vet visit comfirmed it was an abcess. Sending mega healing for Daisy. Please let us know what you find out.

Have no suggestions, but it's nothing to fool around with. Many

Thanks for all the advice. We were able to get in to the vet last night before close and the vet wasn't sure if it was a bug bite or if she had gotten some debris stuck somewhere. She shaved Daisy's paw a little but still didn't see a puncture mark anywhere. So for now Daisy is on prednisone and clavamox and if that doesn't work, they might have to open it up. Poor Daisy wet all over the vet just having her temperature taken so let's hope the meds work. Here is what her boo boo looks like:

Tucker's Mom: was that what the abcess looked like?
    Mom to Daisy

Glad you took her to the vet...here are more rays for her.
    ~*~* Irma *~*~
    GUNNER, AND PETUNIA THE LITTLE BLACK AND TAN / DAPPLE WIENER'S THAT STOLE MY HEART FOREVER.
    Yahoo pics to Gunner

My Mood
    Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. We were able to get in to the vet last night before close and the vet wasn't sure if it was a bug bite or if she had gotten some debris stuck somewhere. She shaved Daisy's paw a little but still didn't see a puncture mark anywhere. So for now Daisy is on prednisone and clavamox and if that doesn't work, they might have to open it up. Poor Daisy wet all over the vet just having her temperature taken so let's hope the meds work. Here is what her boo boo looks like:

Tucker's Mom: was that what the abcess looked like?
    It's a little hard to tell from the pic; but, if it's pink and almost looks like a big blister, then I would say yes. Poor baby - that's quite a big boo boo. Hoping that the meds take care of it. Sending mega healing your way.

Ouch -- more

My Mood
    Breezy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    I'm picturing a round pinkish "bubble" between the toe pad and the main pad - is this correct? If so, it is an abcess that just seems to appear out of nowhere and is not that uncommon. Our first dachsie had a couple of bouts with this. Yes, she definitely should be seen by your vet. He may/may not lance it and put her on antibiotics to prevent infection.

Someone on DBB had a similar situation and actually took a pic so we could see the problem (can't, for the life of me, remember who). Vet visit comfirmed it was an abcess. Sending mega healing for Daisy. Please let us know what you find out.
    That's me...well, maybe not because I didn't take a picture...but Nelson's growth thingy is totally gone now, that was the end of June that he had it. Talk about weird...we were going to have surgery on it, thank God we didn't. He was limping and we had him on a few pain pills here & there. We soaked it in Epsom salt at night and used the stroller instead. You wouldn't know it was ever there now. I'm glad I talked to you guys & researched it on the net...it said that people freak because it comes out of nowhere...and it did!
    Amy
    SE WI ~

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    --Immanuel Kant

I hope that Daisy is feeling better today. My Petey has had cysts come up between the dogs, but this looks different than that. Maybe walking her in a tub with a couple of inches of warm water with lots of Epsom salts may help it drain as well. Please keep us posted...
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    ----- M. Acklam

Heidi - Forever in my heart 10/06/2000-03/06/2009
    Pete - Always loved - ?-20/12/2010
    member - Tiny Paws Dog Rescue