Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! My Dachshund is gaining weight

My Mood
    Mellow

Help! My Dachshund is gaining weight

My Dachshund recently started to gain a bunch of weight. They told me when she was a puppy that she shouldn't be more then 10lbs. Well when she was done growing she was about 12lbs. So she is just a little bigger, she is taller and longer then most mini-dachshunds she comes in contact with. Well over the years she has slowly started to gain weight. She got up to 15lbs and I started thinking of better ways that I can help her lose weight and stay in better shape. Taking her running, on walks more often, taking her to the dog park, playing with her more inside. We live in an apt, so it's hard to get her out, specially when I want to really go running, I end up just dragging her the whole time. Not so good. Ideally it would be nice to have a back yard, but I don't have that leisure right now. So about a month ago we get a new puppy, and I think, 'Great! This will be a great opportunity for her to be more active!' Yeah right! She gains 2 more pounds! She is 17lbs right now. She is about to be 4 years old at the end of this month. She doesn't look fat, but she does look a little chunky. And for this little mini-dachshund, 2lbs is alot of weight to gain all of a sudden. I don't get it! She is way more active then she ever was and she gains more weight? Any ways, I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on what I can do. We do try to monitor her when the puppy is eating her food, sometimes we catch her, but we always stop her. I have her on Eukanuba for Dachshunds, she eats 1 cup a day, and sometimes not even that depending on the weather or her mood. She is very picky and sometimes decides this about her food in general. I have been through every healthy dog food, and this is what she eats the best. I don't know if I need to change her food to something that will help her lose weight or what? I'm open for any suggestion! Thank you!

The top dog is Marli, and Lila is on the bottom!

My Mood
    Cheeky
    Our Lily is a bigger girl too. She's a mini but looks more like a tweenie instead. Have you checked with your Vet to make sure there isn't something medically wrong? Is she getting too many treats? We only feed Lily 1/4 cup of kibble twice a day. We've also added in pure pumpkin, carrots and green beans to make her feel fuller. I feed my two the 'Blue' brand.

Your puppers are beautiful!
    Kim
    ~Mom to Lovable Lily & Muffin (who have me wrapped around their heart's)

Check out our new Blog:
    http://www.lovablelily.blogspot.com/

My Mood
    Happy
    Hi first - So glad you found us, warning this place can be addictive! You've made a great decision to get help with your dachshund's weight, esp with the back issues these little long dogs can have. Several years ago I found mine getting a little overweight and we did what I call the green bean diet. Our Cosmo was almost 23 lbs at one time! He is now a svelte 15 lbs!

The kibble we feed is Nature's Variety Chicken - grain free, our three tweenies (13-16 lbs) get 1/2 cup a day, 1/4 in the am and 1/4 in the pm (they actually get Sojo's at night instead of the kibble) Opi, who is about 10 lbs, get's 1/8 cup twice a day. I noticed you said a cup a day is what you are feeding and that is possible the feeding amount for that food but you will find you don't have to feed as much with the better quality dog food even if it is a little more expensive, it's worth it as it is so much better for them. I know this site http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews.com is outdated but it might be useful to read about the different kinds of foods and their ingredients and the star rating the foods received. I know you said your pup is picky about the food but perhaps you can find a better quality one that she will eat. You also might consider an all stages food so your dogs can eat the same thing which might keep her out of the puppy food. I would just make sure you monitor them as they eat, I know my four finish in less than 3 minutes so that shouldn't be hard to do :-) just so she isn't eating the puppy's food which is most likely high calories. back to the green beans. I use frozen green beans, others use canned and warm them up. I just take them straight out of the freezer (yes I still give them green beans daily- fills them up!) and add about 1/4 cup or so to each of their bowls, it makes them think they are eating more as you know dachshunds are never full! While you are trying to lose weight, increase to maybe 1/2 cup of green beans and I would recommend cutting back half of the kibble you are giving. so increase green beans, decrease kibble, then as the weight go off, you can increase kibble a little at a time until you are back up to the regular serving. no other snacks except potty treats if you give them. Check out the Charlie Bear treats (these would be great potty training treats for your new puppy too) http://www.charleebear.com/dog+treats+faq2.php they are made in the USA!! and they are only 3 calories a piece. Zukes is another great lower calorie treat, we are currently giving them the Super Food Organics, they are about 9 - 10 calories a piece but they can be broken in half, which we do. http://www.zukes.com/woof/index.html I usually order my treats at www.dog.com or www.carealotpets.com. other green veggies are good too, others will give some advice too on their success stories. don't give carrots while trying to lose weight, it's a great snack but full of sugar and not helpful in weight loss I found. mine love broccoli and zucchini!

What are your furkids names? can't wait to see more pictures.
    Lori & the Wyatt Weiners - Cosmo, Joey, Miss Vanna, & Miss Opi

To add to Lori's post. I have a feeling you are free feeding your dogs. That means putting down a bowl of food for the day and leaving it there for them to graze throughout the day. I highly reccomend that you stop doing this if you are. I've found most free fed dogs are overweight. I used to do this with my Sydney and he was overweight until I found a better way.

For my boys (I have 3), I give them 1/4 cup of food in the morning. I separate them so they all have time to eat, one is a slow eater, and one gobbles it down and one prefers me over food so I have to have them focused. After 10 minutes, that is my cut off, whatever food they haven't eaten goes away, food bowls come up and that is it until it's dinner time when I give them another 1/4 cup of food. If they don't eat that within 10 minutes, it also goes away. They learn quickly that it is time to eat and not to just let it sit. This way you can see if he's eating the puppy's food or if the puppy is eating the doxie's food.

Some foods are full of carbs and fillers so you have to feed more to have the dog feel full and that unfortunately leads to weight gain of empty calories. Kind of like when you go to McDonald's, you need to eat more to feel full but then you get hungry earlier.

Just my two cents, good luck!
    Amy and the Devilish Doxie boys Dexy, Oliver, Cody in our hearts forever Sydney 12/3/08 and Darby 1/8/11

Hi and Welcome!
    We hope you come to love it here and we would love to see more pics!

I'm in Canada and the winter here is brutal. Walks on a leash just isn't done for a good part of the year and I find that for my 3, a walk is just too slow. We have to run them first before going on a walk. Also, 1 cup of food is just too much food. I'm curious as to why you kept the same amount of food every day when there was weight gain? The amount they are getting fed can be adjusted according to their activity level and is the easiest way to manage weight.

We play Hide the Ball here, indoors, and that has to be daily. Summer we throw the ball and also put out a beach ball for them. Here's a few short video if you want to have a peak...
    The ball is hidden and I release them to go hunting..This is a 1/2 hr into playing and they aren't showing any tiredness..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtSMjRxGUlM

Beach ball..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hyxc89jhAE

There are no store bought dog treats here. They eat fruit and cooked veggies as treats from what we are eating. They eat everything.

Please share more pics of your poopsies! We'd love to see them! and good luck!

Engli, our 13.5 yr old pie girl,
    Ch. Beau, our 11 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 5.5 yrs old

~Penny~

Sleep until you're hungry. Eat until you're sleepy.

I was looking for a photo that shows the side profile of a dachsie. Because they can be 8 lbs to 35 lbs, the best way to know when they are at the weight they should be is to see if they fit the silhouette. The chest comes down, but the waist should tuck up..

The girl above is under 9 lbs, this boy below is a standard and is over 20 lbs

If they are a tube, they are carrying too much weight.

I'm just throwing this one in cause it's fun!

~Penny~

My Mood
    Bored
    Welcome! Glad that you've found your way to DBB. The only way that I know of for anyone to lose weight (human or canine) is more exercise and less food - and that includes treats. One cup of food is about twice as much as most dachsies need in a day. I would begin by, as others have said, cutting down on the amount of food and adding "healthy, low calorie" fillers - green beans, pure pumpkin, fat free cottage cheese, yogurt. Do you measure the food you give? By that I mean do you use a measuring cup or just "eyeball" the amount? A level 1/4 cup twice a day should be adequate. Also, you have to be careful with the number and type of treats given each day. It's very easy to give more than you realize.

Keeping a journal of sorts is helpful when dieting. Write down exactly how much was fed and mark each time you give a treat and what the treat was. This may all sound like a lot of extra work - but, if you're serious about having a healthy dog, it is going to take time.

Over the winter my crew grew starting putting on the lbs so I cut back their food just a tad and gave them green beans and also I sprinkle oatmeal for them to lick up once in awhile, they like that too. Treats seem to be the worst for the weight gain I think and I used to have a bowl of food down for my 1st doxie to eat whenever she wanted, big mistake, she got way to heavy.

Gunner weighs a little over 10 lbs and he gets 1/4 cup of dog food 2 a day, Petunia is about 12 lbs and she gets the same...they also get a spoonful of meat like chicken, roast beef etc...Gunner was about 14-15 lbs at the time he went down, and had to have back surgery...You can supplement by adding green beans and other veggies.....we feed a grain free dog food...
    ~*~* Irma *~*~
    GUNNER, AND PETUNIA THE LITTLE BLACK AND TAN / DAPPLE WIENER'S THAT STOLE MY HEART FOREVER.
    Yahoo pics to Gunner

My Mood
    Happy
    I would second the change to grain free dog food. High quality Grain free, helped my Cher lose 4 pounds.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Welcome to the DBB.

Everyone has given you some great advice!

Here is a link that shows what a healthy weight for a dachsie should look like from the top and from the side.
    http://www.everything-about-dachshun...nd-weight.html

Good luck and keep us posted on Marli's weight loss. And we looove pics!

Odin, Angel & Carol

Cricket - February 9/06
    Tinker - August 20/06

My Mood
    Happy
    I know my juno gets called 'fat' all the time and I've been working hard on her food consumption as well as making sure she gets out (I am an apt dweller on the 3rd floor). With Juno, she is a 'tweenie'- her momma was a short haired mini and her daddy was a long hair standard, though I do not know how much bigger he was than the mom. I figure height wise he was taller, as Juno has height but the length of leg of a mini, so she has the 'chunky' look all the time (trust me she isn't that chunky if you feel her coat and the muscles underneath).

Last time she was weighed she was about 16lbs (I think, can't remember now, lol) but figure she is still around that weight. I have researched all sorts of food and found what works for me.

Typically I feed Taste of the Wild dog food, both the wet and the dry (tho sometimes just get the wet when I can't afford the dry). It's a great dog food, grain free which seemed to help with her weight and her energy. I found that before TofW, she was very lethargic and bigger around the waist. After about a couple of weeks fully on TofW, she slimmed down but what I noticed was her energy- she was go go go when she wanted to, up from never wanting to do a thing. I figure she had a slight grain allergy, though don't know for sure. I am able to give dry dog food with some grain in it- right now, due to money, I got Natural Defence dry but still give TofW wet food and she hasn't really changed.

I do suggest that IF if you are free feeding (don't know if you are), as much as it may be more of a pain in the rear, to stop and start setting your pup on a schedule. Juno gets a bit of food- her wet and dry mixed- in am while she gets a bedtime nibblie (about maybe 1/4 cup of dry) around 7pm (then pee break). Seems to do her good. And I've cut treats, lol. I think there was someone that told me that green beans are great healthy snack and help cut back on how hungry they get. Maybe someone could back me up on this?

And for her not wanting any part of the jogging, that's a Doxie thing, lol...or at least MY doxie's thing. She hates jogs but one thing I might suggest (thank Ceaser for this idea, lmao) is getting one of those doggie back backs and putting something in it to weigh it down JUST a bit. So when you take her for walks, she working just a tad bit more harder. Start with your water bottle or a small book (make sure you balance both sides) and then go from there. May find that will work off the pounds, in conjunction to the scheduled feedings and cutting out of the treats.

Hope that helped and
    Mom to
    Abygael Rose
    Born January 15th 2009

Izabelle Rhiannon
    Born October 1st 2010

and full-time college student at St.Lawrence College Brockville in the Office Admin 2 yr program, Medical & Legal

by
    JUNO
    Born April 2009
    Black and Tan smooth coat

Tucker
    Born May 22 2000
    Passed away October 16 2010
    Forever in our Hearts
    Black 3/4 Lab and 1/4 Bouvier des Flandres

Add me on Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/kmacmaster

Quote Originally Posted by canadiandoxie View Post
    I might suggest (thank Ceaser for this idea, lmao) is getting one of those doggie back backs and putting something in it to weigh it down JUST a bit. So when you take her for walks, she working just a tad bit more harder. Start with your water bottle or a small book (make sure you balance both sides) and then go from there. May find that will work off the pounds, in conjunction to the scheduled feedings and cutting out of the treats.
    I think Ceasar has a good idea but I'm not so sure it is for a doxie that is already caring extra weight. That puts stress on their long backs and adding a doggie back pack doesn't seem like something I would want to do to my dogs. I understand what the back pack is meant to accomplish though.

~Penny~

My Mood
    Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by BeauBuddy View Post
    I think Ceasar has a good idea but I'm not so sure it is for a doxie that is already caring extra weight. That puts stress on their long backs and adding a doggie back pack doesn't seem like something I would want to do to my dogs. I understand what the back pack is meant to accomplish though.
    Totally agree! This might be a good idea for larger breeds; but, I wouldn't recommend it for a dachsie trying to lose weight - JMO.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Thank you guys so much for all of your advice! Marli's dog food is about gone, so i will go buy her a grain free food and cut her down to 1/4 cup a meal with some green beans. Marli LOVES veggies and fruit, so she will love that I'm giving her veggies! As of free feeding, you guys are correct. I will have to put that to a stop. Marli is so stubborn that when I have done that in the past she sometimes won't eat at all, and that makes me feel like my dog isn't getting fed! But I will just suck it up and deal with it and let her learn the hard way. By putting green beans in her food, she probably won't just let it sit! She'll at least eat the green beans lol I will keep you posted and let you know if it works!

The top dog is Marli, and Lila is on the bottom!