Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Long Legged" Dachshund?

My Mood
    Devilish

"Long Legged" Dachshund?

I was out with Nola today and someone commented that she has awfully long legs for a Doxie. So I got on Google (of course, Google tells me everything! ) and looked up pictures of Dachshunds and her legs do look kinda long.
    She's a purebred Doxie, but I know she's not a show quality one. Her breeder focused more on agility, Rally and Earthdog than conformation showing.
    What do y'all think?

http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com

Amanda,aka Dachshund Mommy

Nola: 3 year old smooth wildboar miniature Dachshund, CGC

My Mood
    Asleep
    I'm not a show person but I think you really have to look at the legs from the base of the chest down. If you do that at her lowest chest point, she BARELY looks leggy. Much shorter and she'd be dragging the deepest part of her ribcage.

Skyler Beau James 01/25/2002-10/25/2012 Milo Ryder

I think her legs are normal for a dachshund. The "problem" is that she's not fat like most people are used to seeing, so it makes her legs look long.
    Chris

Miss Holly
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
    Mckenzies Dogster Page
    Hollys Dogster Page
    In memory of Copper, Junior, & Mckenzie; gone but never forgotten.
    My CNC 3d Model site

Gosh they look normal to me, our Teensy has a bit longer legs than the rest of his sibblings but he is pure doxie bc he is from our litter.

She is leggy for a dachshund. The back legs are quite straight, making the back end too high. It would be better for the discs in the back to be level and straight. Being a dachshund she will still be prone to disc disease and there will be extra 'squeezing' of the discs in the back if it's arched like that.

Here is a champion boy with a level back...

Haley..

Here's a puppy learning to stack. Nice straight topline...

Engli, our 14.5 yr old pie girl,
    Ch. Beau, our 12 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 7 yrs old

~Penny~

Sleep until you're hungry. Eat until you're sleepy.

My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by BeauBuddy View Post
    She is leggy for a dachshund. The back legs are quite straight, making the back end too high. It would be better for the discs in the back to be level and straight. Being a dachshund she will still be prone to disc disease and there will be extra 'squeezing' of the discs in the back if it's arched like that.

Here is a champion boy with a level back...

Haley..

Here's a puppy learning to stack. Nice straight topline...
    Yes, as I said in my original post I know Nola is not a show quality dachshund. Her breeder was more concerned with tracking, agility, and Rally than comformation. (I wished she hadn't stopped breeding, I would have loved to get another puppy from her )
    Given that I keep her weight low, keep her very active, limit uncontrolled jumping, have her on the best diet possible and I'm already in contact with the best possible vets for her to go to if she ever where to have back issues I think she'll be just fine. Her back isn't as slopped as in the picture; she was standing funny. It's nnormally just a slight lift up.
    Thanks for the reply. That longhair is adorable

Well she's in fabulous shape! You're a good momma to be so proactive in her care and management!
    We all hope that they will never have a back issue! All we can do is control what we have control over, and have things in place when it happens.

~Penny~

Petunia is long legged also...Gunner has stubby feet---he had back surgery....
    ~*~* Irma *~*~
    GUNNER, AND PETUNIA THE LITTLE BLACK AND TAN / DAPPLE WIENER'S THAT STOLE MY HEART FOREVER.
    Yahoo pics to Gunner

Amanda, those are 2 different long hair pups by the way. I love that dapple girl, which one did you like?

Irma, what's 'stupy'?

~Penny~

My Mood
    Devilish
    The second one, Haley. She's beautiful!!! I'd love a longhair. Sigh, someday....

I always thought their legs looked short bc of the way they were posed. Now I am looking at my gang wondering if they all have legs that are too long. Oh well they arent going to be competing in anything but attention from mama.

Penny--it means short, tiny, thick etc, etc...his legs are about 2 inches...

I spelled stubby wrong.

*Having the nature of or suggesting a stub, as in shortness, broadness, or thickness: stubby fingers and toes. Having a short, stocky build; thickset. Short and blunt, as from much
    ~*~* Irma *~*~
    GUNNER, AND PETUNIA THE LITTLE BLACK AND TAN / DAPPLE WIENER'S THAT STOLE MY HEART FOREVER.
    Yahoo pics to Gunner

My Annie has a high rump like that too! I always tease her that a mink must have gotten over the fence...

LisaH and Annie

Quote Originally Posted by LisaH View Post
    My Annie has a high rump like that too! I always tease her that a mink must have gotten over the fence...

LisaH and Annie
    Thats funny

My pixie has long legs! She is purebred too. her dad had short legs and her mom had longer legs. Her three littermates inherited the dad's legs and pixie inherited her mom's longer legs! Pixie's legs look just like Nola's!