Thread: Tear duct not working

Tanya Guest

Unhappy Tear duct not working

My dog Cujo (not a dachsie) is having an eye problem. He is we guess 14 yrs old. His tear duct is no longer working and his eye looks awful. The vet suggested putting wetting solution in his eye several times a day, but since I work all day, I can only do it 3-4 times. He can't see well at all. his other eye has a cataract. Is it a possibility that he could lose his eye if his tear duct doesn't work? He ran into a wall today and got a nosebleed.

Penny's Aunt Guest

When my dog was having a dry-eye problem, my vet suggested I use a petroleum jelly eye ointment. He said the nature of the jelly keeps you from having to put it in constantly, as you do the wetting solution (which I assume is a liquid).

I've never heard of a dog losing it's eye from this type of thing. I'm not saying it couldn't ever happen, but it's not likely. He would be more likely to lose an eye from injuring it. And it would have to be a tremendously serious injury.

By the way, blind animals get along quite well. The breeder where I got my pup has an old cat with no eyes at all. His glaucoma got so bad his eyeballs were apparently close to rupturing (isn't THAT a visual? Yuck!), so they were removed, one at a time. He is a complete housecat now, but he gets along fine.

Just do what you can.

<font color="#00FFFF" font size="1">[This message has been edited by Penny's Aunt (edited July 01, 2000).]</font>

SandyLynn Guest

Tanya,

Our Mickey has a dry eye problem also. Our vet prescribed cyclosporin 2% solution in olive oil (he has it made up by a compounding pharmacy). Cyclosporin is a drug used in organ transplant patients to suppress rejection of the transplants. It is a fairly recent treatment (within the past couple of years) for dry eye in dogs, and it seems to be working for Mickey. We put a drop or two of artificial tears in each eye, then anywhere from 1/2 hour to 1 hour later we put in one drop of cyclosporin. It only needs to be done twice a day, and the artificial tears are sort of optional - they help to disperse the cyclosporin solution.

Mickey's eyes were red and gunky before we started this, and they've been normal since. Our vet said blindness would be the ultimate result if this condition were left untreated. I don't know wherher the cyclosporin treatment is as successful if used in later stages of the disease, but you might consider asking your vet about it. It IS somewhat expensive, but seeing Mickey's shining, sweet eyes in a healthy condition is definitely worth it.

Tanya Guest

Thanks for the advice. I used to own a blind Pug (attacked by a Pit Bull and lost his eyes - We rescued him from the home)and have no problem keeping blind or disabled puppers. Cujo's eye does look better though he is still running in to walls! But, he is an old man. My vet has mentioned a cream for his eye that was expensive, but she said his eye looks so much better that she feels he doesn't need it. Thanks again.

Penny's Aunt Guest

SandyLynn, how does that med AFFECT the eyes? Does it just provide lubrication, or does it do something to the tear duct to "rejuvenate" it?

Tanya Guest

Penny's Aunt,
    I don't know the name of the drug my vet was talking about, but she said it was used for cancer treatment and it actually rejunvenates the tear duct to get it working again. If you are interested, I'll call Dr. Green and ask her the name.

SandyLynn Guest

Tanya - was that ointment called Optimmune? If so, that also contains cyclosporin, which is what is in Mickey's eye drops.

Penny's Aunt - The cyclosporin drops don't act as a lubricant, because if you're using artificial tears, you have to keep them up for a little while after switching to cyclo.(it's been awhile, so I had forgotten about that). If I remember correctly, they're not exactly sure how it works, but it has to do with its effect on the immune system. I'll be seeing my vet this Sat., so I'll ask him for more details.

Sandy

SandyLynn Guest

Ok, I asked my vet about the cyclosporine drops: it's believed that dry eye is often caused by the dog's immune system attacking the tear ducts, and cyclosporine helps to slow down this process. It also has an anti-inflammatory effect. Some dogs still have low tear production after being on cyclosporine, but the dry eye condition improves anyway.

Penny's Aunt Guest

Thank you.