2 10.00%
  • dont care

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tweenie Dashies

samiam Guest

Tweenie Dashies

I am wondering how common tweenie dashies are? I had never seen one until I came asross my Gracie. She is 6lbs.Any others out there? :raz:

alfina Guest
    How old is Gracie?

Yes

At 16lbs Star is our tweeny (and occasional alpha wannabe) . Tiny and Susie are minis (as was Wimpy) . . . all 3 around 10-11 lbs. Bruty and Debbie are standards at 24 + or - lbs.
    Mark and Jean

Caleigh (7/27/2012) and Dusty (7/25/2012)

Forever in our hearts
         Beloved Wimpy (1/21/1990 - 11/27/2002)
         Sweet Susie (12/4/1991 - 10/31/2008)
         Bold Brutus (1/9/1995 - 4/23/2010)
         Beautiful Debbie (11/9/98 - 9/21/2012)
         Soulful Star (5/8/99 - 10/30/2012)
         Precious Tiny (4/15/94 -11/27/2012)

alfina Guest
    Actually Mark on AKC website it says standart dashchunds are 16-32 lbs. So, your Star is a small standart then.

Hmmm . . .

didn't it used to be 18lbs? When did it change?
    Mark and Jean

Caleigh (7/27/2012) and Dusty (7/25/2012)

Forever in our hearts
         Beloved Wimpy (1/21/1990 - 11/27/2002)
         Sweet Susie (12/4/1991 - 10/31/2008)
         Bold Brutus (1/9/1995 - 4/23/2010)
         Beautiful Debbie (11/9/98 - 9/21/2012)
         Soulful Star (5/8/99 - 10/30/2012)
         Precious Tiny (4/15/94 -11/27/2012)

alfina Guest
    Not sure. Just went there this morning to check the standarts for dachshunds.

lotsadox Guest
    I thought it was 18, too! Miller is almost a standard and Cash is a standard! Hard to believe!

I always thought it was...

... 17-32 lbs for standards! Sheesh- there's a lot of inaccurate info out there, huh? I guess I never paid too much attention... since I got "mini" puppies...

... But- my minis have long since left that realm! At last weigh in, Dutch was just under 16 lbs (and has most likely crossed over by now). Since he's only 9 months- we may even see him get a little bigger!

Lynx has been a steady 13 lbs for months- and has about a month until his first birthday. He's an official "small standard"- aka tweenie! That is... unless DCA decides to rewrite the standards again...

The AKC weight distinctions are kind of silly- if you ask me!

And OH YES- tweenies are very common... one of the reasons that there's so much pressure to rewrite the standards.
    Chrissie, Bob, Gabe & the Florida 6 Pack
    Geisha, Jake, Lynx, Elwood, Leo & Dutch

Juneysmom Guest
    I heard that mini-dachshunds couldn't be below a certain weight in order to compete in the shows. Maybe that's why so many tweenies?

alfina Guest
    There is no weight restrictions for mini other than that they have to be under 11 lbs at the age of 1 or over. But small minis would have hard time winning against standart dachsies or bigger minis because they don't have as much presense in the ring which what judges are looking at. In fact, I wish they separated minis and standarts in the ring because they are just so different.

Some clubs have toy dachsie category. UKC??

Heide Guest

I know that they are now

calling the tweenies small standards.
    They were at one time called tweenies. I dont see that description anymore. I now see it as small standard.

Kim H. Guest

I don't know if they're common...

but Tristan would definitely fit that classification; he was about 13 pounds and that was not overweight for his size.

The girls seem to be staying mini-size.

Lauri Gengor Guest
    Im totally confused at to that shadow realm of "tweenies." All I know is out of my 4 pac I have one Mini, Misty at 10.5 pounds. The other three (including Mirri) are tweenies 12 to 13.5 pounds. There are a lot of tweenies and I question the phrase large mini. Small standard sounds more logical. I wish mini/standard would be reclassified to give the 12 to 16 pounders a definite description.

Otto is definately a tweenie at 14.5 lbs of lean dachsie machine! Now, we always question the quality of his breeding (as he's a rescue dog with severe allergies, I am convinced that he was a Mill Pup) - but - look how many excellently bred dogs on here are tweenies.

Guess you never can tell with these little guys!
    Juliette-

Mommy to Moe (our little Dreamer) and Dexter (everybody needs a serial killer)
    Forever Mommy to Otto and Hijinx
    RIP Junior 29/02/96 - 11/09/07

Moe's Dogster Page

My Mood
    Lurking
    My doxies are all standards, but I consider Con to be a small standard, or tweenie, compared to what I have seen in the show rings. He is 19lbs. (So I guess I was wrong he fits the standard size.)
    But I have seen some 40 lbs dachshunds in the show ring. The owners didn't think anything of it. THAT's a BIG Doxie! That was a few years ago. I haven't seen any that big for a while, showing. But I am sure they are out there.
    How would a dog that big fit in a den?
    Personally I like the way they do standards in the Netherlands and different countries. They actully have 3 sizes. Off hand I don't know what the weights are. Anyone else know?
    DoxunzX3~~~!

Mz KizZzy blk/tan silver dapple LH tweenie
    Rac-Zor red smooth tweenine
    Chico A WannaBdoxie Ewe Chihuahua

missing my Ivy Ann & Chewie z-it Con-Man and all the special dawgz before them!